Wednesday 28 May 2014

Ooooh SCHNIBBLES!

Oooh Schnibbles!


 I just learned a new word, and I think it is a totally brilliant one.  I was looking for pin cushion inspiration, like you do and I saw a lovely little one that I thought I could manage, the site was Doodlehead.com and they called their designs Schnibble Tuffets, it's fairy tale cute isn't it?  Looking further I found this definition:

  • Schnibble: noun  A scrap of fabric; a leftover bit of cloth; a small piece.  The word has a German origin and is found primarily in German settlements in the Midwest. 
So it's a real word as a noun, a small leftover scrap and we all have loads of them, but it's become a word used in place of well, to tell the truth and shame the devil? - cursing in my house, burn myself with the iron? Oh Schnibbles!.  Sewing machine chews up my last bit of fabric? Oh Schnibbles.  It'll be interesting to hear what I come up with next time I get in the car, ^_^.

Now a tuffet is something I remember from a nursery rhyme, it's a sort of little pouffe, or stool, in story books it pretty much always looks like a toadstool under a tree, with a spider hovering just above it. https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiPp44fPcq-iVs5iBSEzthoLFbvF935Gao4yR0lZ9vwgP2WFcobjbSJ8bNXPlMEpJ00zl6LiTxU6KidXOrOsiGBW1Ii2DPfu_uvZcNo_YfkmZAXRamA4sTm7LbmLuLeDWrpGwOGlDCLLNI/s1600/Nursery+Rhyme+Silhouettes+Little+Miss+Muffet+1907.jpg


In Doodlehead's world though it means a little weeny block at the centre of a round of strips that finish 1/4" wide.  It's for people who enjoy working with the miniature but they are really sweet.  The photo's  thatI've copied from   http://www.doodle-head.com/sew/pincushions.asp 
are their Schnibbles Tuffetts, 

 Schnibbles TuffetsSchnibbles pincushion

 aren't they cute? but Melissa when she gave me permission to share the photo's with you told me that she got them from Miss Rosie's Quilt Co. You'll find the leaflet here:-

http://www.missrosiesquiltco.com/Schnibbles.html there are lots and lots of instructions for layer cake quilts, I haven't managed to find a 'Recipe' or instructions for these pin cushions but the Log Cabin one on the right should be easy enough to do, it looks as though it's quilted by stitching in the seams and I have to say I like the way it looks.  I might have a go at a quilted pin cushion next.  As for now ? I'm off to see if I can manage a whole block without a burn, cut or schnibble!

Have fun wherever you are, and whatever you are doing today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! I grant you permission to use my photos of the Schnibbles pincushions I made on this blog post. I can't claim credit for the name of them, though, as they were from a little leaflet by Miss Rosie's Quilt Company, http://www.missrosiesquiltco.com/Schnibbles.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! and here is a tutorial on how to change the no-reply blogger settings. Good luck!
    http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.com/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html

    ReplyDelete